Wednesday, April 4, 2012

Project Updates-what to do next

Hi Everyone,

Here are some project updates from the past several weeks:

The hickory-walnut bowl that I've been working on didn't work out-it developed a crack along the bottom and another crack along the rim which I tried to repair. The patching didn't work out and so the bowl can't be sold. Here are photos:



So instead of sawing it in half and discarding it, I am going to give it to someone who is learning how to knit and could use a yarn bowl. The bowl is perfectly good for that. I've given it a preliminary coat of mineral oil and I'll oil it through out the weekend and send it off next week.

The large hickory bowl and the red elm bowl are coming out great and go into the drying bag this weekend for 6 weeks of drying out. We'll return to those at a later date.

The wooden tray I made out of Phillipine Mahogany is going to be kept and used as pattern for subsequent trays and platters. The design is perfect and so it get replicated again.

The red kempas wood bowl has not yet been glued up into a block. I'm going to add more red colored wood to it and make it really big. More on that in a future posting.

I'm going to make a tea tray out of a large piece of white oak with plumbing pipe handles. The method for that will be displayed on my other blog Piperooo. I'll let you know when that happens.

And I've swept up all the wood shavings in the shop--3 large trash bags worth! I still need to take some time and sharpen up the turning tools and I also need to make another wood working bench. I need a large one so I can lay out tools and wood. That will be the same type of table as the one I made at the beginning of the year, only longer. I'll post a finish photo on that when it's done.

I'm not quite sure what I'm going to do next. I have some Douglas fir that I'm thinking of ripping into pieces and laminating into a large block for a serving tray and I may do that on Friday. We'll see.

We are well into spring here in the mid west. Yesterday there were a number of bad tornadoes in Texas in the Dallas-Ft. Worth area. I hope everyone there is ok and that everyone affected is able to recover from this. God Bless Texas.

Well, Easter will be here this weekend. If I don't post in the meantime, I hope everyone has a lovely weekend.

Thanks for stopping by and see you soon,
VW


No comments:

Post a Comment