Monday, April 30, 2012

Big red laminated bowl-process and photos

Hi Everyone,

Well, it's been a rather trying day today and so I decided to go down to the wood shop and unwind a bit. I have that big laminated block of kempas, black walnut, and hickory and this is as good a time as any to get started on it so on the lathe it went.

Here we go:

This block is heavy and a little mangled so it's going to be a little unbalanced. I screwed it down firmly to the 3 inch faceplate and started turning the bottom and sides. You can see the bowl mounted on the lathe in the next two photos:



This is the bowl after about an hour of work. It's actually not as hard as I thought it would be and it's turning nicely. You can see the faint out line of the foot. It's taking some time as there is simply a lot of wood to remove.



Tomorrow (we'll do this slowly) I think I'll finish the outside completely, all the way through to finish sanding. Then we'll work on the inside. I think this will be a really nice fruit or salad bowl.

See you tomorrow,
VW

No comments:

Post a Comment