Thursday, April 12, 2012

Camphor wood trays-Discussion and plans

Hi Everyone,

UPS just delivered the first of several camphor wood turning blocks--I'm going to make these into serving trays.

Camphor trees are a type of evergreen tree that are native to Indochina, Japan, China, and Taiwan and where transplanted here in the late 19th century. They grow in the southern US, California, Hawaii, and in Florida, where these blocks originated. It's not endangered and in fact has been declared a "noxious weed" in Australia where it readily grows.

Camphor wood was used extensively in wood working and wood carving in Asia and I'm sure everyone is familiar with scent from oil of camphor and I can't wait to see how the wood shop smells afterwards.

The blocks I have are both 12" x 2" and I'll be turning one this evening on the lathe and posting photos for you to see. The trays will have to dry out as they are green wood so this project will be on going for some months.

Tomorrow I'm going to go and purchase the lumber for my son's coffee table and get started on that. So grab some coffee and drop by the wood shop--it's going to be a busy weekend.

See you later tonight,

VW

No comments:

Post a Comment