Wednesday, March 14, 2012

Project updates


Hi Everyone,
Well, it's 74 and clear as a bell out side. For March in Minnesota that's amazing. There are birds chirping and tons of animals outside so I guess spring has arrived.

Since the weather is warming up it's time to finish off a number of projects that have been sitting around the shop:

Tea boxes

If you remember from the beginning of the year, I had several tea boxes to make for the widow of my husband's best friend who passed away last fall. I made one for her and one for her step daughter and they are finished:



The red box is mahogany and walnut with a redwood top and the beige one is ambrosia maple and walnut with a hickory top. They came out fine and I'll be mailing them off tomorrow.

Hickory fruit platter

The hickory fruit platter made out of laminated hickory and walnut is finished and I'm presently putting on the finish. Here it is:



I've made the lazy susan from last week and I'm really disappointed in the stain I used:



It looks a lot more blotchy than the photo suggests and so tomorrow I'm going into town to show it to the friend who ordered it. I'm going to suggest that we re make it and use a different stain. More on this project as it unfolds.

Tomorrow I'm going to begin working on the next two hickory bowl blanks I've made--one will be a fruit bowl and the other will be a nut bowl. So stay tuned for those.

I've also gotten geared up to make salt and pepper shakers and you'll be seeing some postings about that in the not too distant future. And I'm experimenting with some small vases for dried flowers. More about that later too.

Thanks for dropping by--see you tomorrow.

VW

No comments:

Post a Comment