Wednesday, November 14, 2018

Little Free Library build-it's finished!


Hi Everyone,

Well, here it is:



What a challenge this was-it's like building a house. There are a lot of little details (and aggravations) that went into it but it's very very strong, waterproof, and I think it could withstand a tidal wave. As I mentioned previously I live in a rugged climate with snow, lots of rain, and wind so the box had to be water tight and the finish had to be water proof and I think that's been accomplished.

The building of the box portion of the library was very straight forward and didn't really present any challenges other than running out of plywood at one point. The door however was a challenge. I built two frames and re-did the second frame and window twice before I got a door that would fit flush, keep out water and snow, look appealing from the street, and basically be destruction proof in case anyone thinks of vandalizing it. But I managed to prevail. The hinges were another difficulty as I couldn't find any hinges that were small enough to fit but strong enough to move the door multiple times without coming loose. Here's the hinges on the side of the box:



There is also a simple knob on the front and a hook and eye latch on the right hand side of the door to keep it closed.

The roof is similar to a regular roof on a house. I used construction adhesive and wood screws to attach it to the roof panels and I guess time will tell if it leaks. I don't think it will as there is a ton of adhesive underneath all of that roofing material.

The post and the framework

The post hole is going to be dug this weekend. The library itself is very heavy and so we need a very deep hole to support it, as well as a strong theft proof frame to hold the library onto the pole. And I'll let you know how that goes in a later posting.

Well, I'm glad I did it but I'm not too keen on doing another one anytime soon.

I will do a posting about the post and the frame and show you photos of it in place.

Stay tuned,
VW

No comments:

Post a Comment