Wednesday, November 7, 2018

Little Free Library build-the door

Hi Again,

Well, the day I've been dreading has arrived-time to build the door.

The door in the plans is essentially a window with hinges, a knob, and a door clasp. I've never made a window before so I've had to improvise a lot and hope for the best. Here's the photos from today:

I debated whether to build an inset door or just to basically copy the face frame. I even consulted my  husband the engineer on this one and eventually I decided to go with a face frame type door. It is bigger and heavier that an inset door would be but I think it will keep out water better so face frame door it is:


And so that's what I did. Here is the completed door from the front:


The second part of the door is the window. I have a small Lexan sheet that I'm going to use. I built a frame work around the opening in the door and I plan to butt the edges of the Lexan window again the frame and glue and screw it in place:


This is what the underside of the door looks like:



And since red is the color of welcome, I've painted the door frame red. It will look nice against the natural wood color:


Next I will attach the face frame to the box with screws and glue and finish up any other work. Then it's time to apply a finish to the exterior of the box and the frame. I'll try and get to all of that this evening. Once this is done, all that remains is the roof and apply some exterior deck stain to the pole to preserve it. And then it's time to put it in the ground.

Stay tuned,
VW


No comments:

Post a Comment