Friday, May 4, 2012

Cutting boards pt 2-the ash cutting board and a cutting board for me

Hello Again,

I took the ash cutting board and flipped it back over one last time and removed the mortise and tenon and I also hollowed out the underside a bit. Here are photos of it on lathe with the back side removed and two photos of it with a coat of oil and wax:





Ash is a pretty wood and it's great for turning. I'm going to oil the daylights out of this until next week when it winds up in my inventory.

Remember the blank that I incorrectly glued the other day? Well, I need a cutting board myself. I currently use a piece of maple from a long ago project and a white plastic cutting board that has turned a depressing grey-brown color. So I decided to use the mis-glued blank and make it into a laminated butcher-block-type cutting board.

So I screwed the face plate on the backside of the board, put it on the lathe and began to work on it. Here are some photos:





This last photo shows it sanded to 150 grit. This blank had a couple of surprises: some hidden cracking along the rim that showed up after I beveled it. I filled the cracks with superglue and continued sanding.
Here is were we are at present:



I've removed the blank from the lathe and unscrewed the faceplate and instead covered it with turning tape and taped it to the front. It's resting for about 20 minutes in the wood shop and I'll go back down in a few minutes, put it back on the lathe and work on it some more.

VW

1 comment:

  1. Beautiful cutting boards! I personally love the look of the butcher blocks myself but alas, I do not have enough counter space for one. I do plan on having a nice end-grain wood cutting board one day, though. Probably one with a juice groove like the ones in your pictures. They are so pretty and their a heck of allot easier on my knives than plastic. If you want some more info for your readers, here's a blog about the benefits of a wood cutting board verses plastic:
    http://www.jesrestaurantequipment.com/jesrestaurantequipmentblog/wood-over-plastic-cutting-boards-chopping-blocks-and-butcher-blocks-from-john-boos/

    ReplyDelete