Thursday, July 2, 2020

Coffee Cup Shelves

Hi Everyone,

Here's a new project: a coffee cup shelf rack for cups, bags of coffee, and other stuff. I have one in my kitchen and my daughter in law asked me to make her one so here goes:

Discussion and Plans

My daughter in law has lots of mugs and needs extra space to house all of them in her kitchen along with some spice containers from her spice rack. So I decided to help her out and make her one out of pine. 

The coffee cup shelf I made is a box with shelves and I don't think it's the most elegant thing I've ever seen. It looks like a big boxy thing with cups in it so to avoid that, this rack won't have a back and will not really have any side either (see below). 

So I went to the big box store and got some 1"x 6"x48" select pine boards, a fresh can of Minwax polyurethane, and some black walnut stain (she wanted dark shelving to match the cabinets in her kitchen) and got to work. 

Here's some photos:

Here is the framework for the rack. This will all be visible and stained dark brown. The shelf below is only a piece of scrap wood to give you an idea where the shelves will be placed. The actual shelves will sit on the side rails and be a little bit wider:


 In the next two photos you'll see that I was working on cutting out the parts for the rack. It's been beastly hot here and after I finished cutting, I gave up and went inside. Whew! It was tough out there!



Now tomorrow I'm going to cut out the shelves and then dry fit the whole thing together and check on the fit of all the parts. After that I'll take it apart and stain everything and let it dry. Later this weekend, I'll assemble it and we'll see what it looks like.

Stay tuned,
VW

No comments:

Post a Comment