Tuesday, July 21, 2020

Side Table project-the legs, continued

Hello All,

I came home from running an errand this morning and went right back to work. I'v cut out all the legs and I'm in the process of sanding them smooth. Here's today's photos:

I took a look at the table legs and measured them against two other bedside tables I have in my bedroom and it seemed to me that the legs were too long so I cut off 1 1/2 off the foot of the leg:



The table lets are now 21 1/2" long which will result in a lower and better looking table:



After I cut the legs down, I started sanding the surfaces. The cut surfaces are quite rough from the bandsaw and the curved surface was really really rough. I tried using a cabinet scraper on the surface but it really didn't help much so I got out my palm sander and that really made short work of this. I'm currently using 100 grit paper but I'll move up to finer grits as I go.

The two legs on the left in the photo are unsanded and the two on the right hand side are sanded. They look nice:


Now tomorrow, I'll finish sanding all the parts. Then it will be time to think about the staining part of this. I'd like a golden brown color so I'll have to hunt around for that. After the parts are stained, I'll put a coat or two of polyurethane on the surfaces and then begin assembling the project.

Stay tuned,
VW

No comments:

Post a Comment