Monday, October 25, 2021

The Wedding Present-Turning the Outside of the Bowl

 Hi Everyone,
Well, it's really cooling down outside and the sun is shining-perfect day to do some wood turning. Let's go!

I've been thinking about the design of the bowl. I am going to create a bowl that has a series of long bevels on the outside, with corresponding sides on the inside of the bowl. This will produce a bowl with straight slanted sides while preserving as much of the volume of the bowl as possible. 

Here's today's photos:

Here's the laminated block I started with-it's a big, ragged looking thing:



I got the bandsaw up to speed and cut out the turning blank and screwed a faceplate on to it and then put it on the lathe. It just clears the bed so I won't be using the lathe extension for this turn:



Next I trued up the underside and sides of the blank. This went very well and rather quickly. As it's heavy, I'm turning it at about 275 rpm. It looks like a big cheese wheel:




The best way to approach this design is to create 2 long bevels. The first bevel with be underneath the bowl and run from that green line in the photo to the edge of the foot of the bowl: 



Something's going on with my camera so the photos I took of the second bevel are nowhere to be found. Suffice it to say, I did turn the second bevel and the bowl looks pretty good at this point.

If I can figure out what happened to the photos I'll post them here later.

Tomorrow I'll clean up the sides (there's some pitting issues to be dealt with) and create the foot and the slot for the big Nova chuck. 

See you tomorrow,
VW


No comments:

Post a Comment