Sunday, October 10, 2021

Laminated Fruit Bowl Project

 Hello Everyone,

Well, it's been a long summer and the serving tray project has morphed into a fruit bowl project. I'll spare you the reason why the project was delayed and apologize to everyone for the delay.

The turning block I made is simply made up of randomly placed lengths of scrap hardwood I purchased from my friends the cabinetmakers and it has a faceplate screwed to it to attach it to the lathe.

What is new is the lathe extension I got last Christmas. My husband gave me a hand attaching it to the lathe and lo and behold, it works perfectly. I can now turn blanks up to 20 inches in diameter:


 

So I attached it to the lathe and began by truing up the blank and then turning the underside of the bowl. I've got it sanded smooth but I'll still need to cut a slot in the foot of the bowl so I can use the large Nova chuck I have so as to re-attach it to the lathe.

Tomorrow I'll flip it over the hallow out the bowl but in the meantime here are a couple of photos:

Here is the set up ready to go. The extension comes with a tool rest extension:



And here are a couple of photos of the foot of the bowl and the rest of the underside of the bowl:



So that was it for today. Tomorrow I'll hallow it out.

Stay tuned,
VW

No comments:

Post a Comment