Friday, October 15, 2021

Salt Cellars-Part 1: Discussion and Preparing the Lids

 Hi Everyone,

The holidays are coming up and that means lots of holiday bazaars. If you're a wood worker you've probably been asked if you can donate a few items for sale (or sell your own creations). This is a good time to go through your scrap lumber and pick out the choice pieces you've got squirreled away and make use of them. And as this uses empty, small glass jars, it's a great way to recycle.

I use canning jars that I've lost the lids to, along with other odd shaped jars, and turn small lids for them. Some of them work well as salt cellars and others are good for spices, small jewelry, or as gift boxes for small items:



This makes a fun day project and it's a great way to use that micro turning set I know you all have in a drawer someplace.

Here's a couple of photos to start with:

In this photo you can see the jars I'm going to use and some small pieces of scrap wood leftover from earlier projects. I keep small lid-sized pieces of wood and smaller pieces for knobs-that's what those cube-sized pieces are for. I'm going to drill a 1" diameter hole which will serve as the attachment point for the nova chuck, and I'll drill a small screw hold into that larger hole. Then I'll drill a matching screw hole into the small cubes and screw the lid piece and the knob piece together before turning. That will give me a lid with two colors of wood instead of just one color. 
I also will be cutting out lid-sized circles out of the lid pieces. 


The thick reddish piece of wood in the photo is a piece of redwood. It's a soft wood and requires sharp tools and a fast turning speed but it looks lovely when turned. I am also laminating a small block out of furniture-grade plywood and thin black walnut:


The laminated block and the redwood block will be thick enough to turn a knob from so they do not need a separate piece of wood for that.

Ok, I have some gardening to do as it's getting cold here but I will try and get back to the shop later today and do an additional blog post. 

Stay tuned,
VW



No comments:

Post a Comment