Wednesday, October 27, 2021

The Wedding Present-Hollowing out the Bowl

 Hi Everyone,

Well it's not as cold as yesterday was so I decided to get out and get a couple of hours of wood turning done. Here's the photos:

Here is the blank attached to the chuck which in turn is attached to the lathe:


I spent several hours hollowing out the bowl and I've probably removed half the volume of the blank. The inside and outside of the sides are parallel with each other at this point:


To keep the style of the bowl intact, I'm going to finish turning the bottom of the bowl first-I think I can do another 3/4" in depth. Then remove a wedge-shaped section of wood from the wall of the bowl to the center area. That should create a similar shape:



I'm going to try and finish the turning by Friday so I can work on the finish over the weekend. Several days of drying beyond that and it will be ready to be sent off.

_______

I'm a big fan of Peter Follansbee. I enjoy watching him make chairs out of unseasoned wood. I especially like the photos he posts of the wildlife that lives near his shop.
After I finished turning, I sat down with some darning eggs I'm finishing up and I caught a neighborhood woodpecker pecking away at my cherry tree. So whenever I an catch a photo of some critter, I'll be posting it.



See you tomorrow.
VW

No comments:

Post a Comment