Tuesday, October 26, 2021

The Wedding Present: Finished the underside of the bowl and ready for hallowing out

 Hi Everyone,

I just had to come indoors right now, not because the blog posting is bursting with news, but because I'm half frozen right now. It's breezy and cold. A miserable day for turning.

But I hung in there and got some turning in this morning. The underside of the bowl is finished and I've flipped it over for hallowing later today, if I don't die of hypothermia first.

Here's today's photos:

I still have problems with some ridges that have formed. I managed to flatten them somewhat but they're still there and you can easily see them in the photo:



I'm going to try and correct this when I flip the blank over later on.

Next up was creating the foot of the bowl and a slot for the Nova chuck. That didn't take terribly long to create and it came out very nice:



I've sanded the surfaces and it's smooth and ready to be flipped over. This is a photo of it off the lathe. There is about 1/2" clearance from the table top and it's going to look really nice when it's finished:




And last of all, here it is on the chuck and ready to be attached to the lathe for hallowing out.


If I manage to thaw out, I'll be back down in the wood shop a little later to get the bowl ready to go.

Stay tuned,
VW

No comments:

Post a Comment