Monday, October 11, 2021

Laminated Fruit Bowl project, continued

 Hello All,
I got outside early today and finished the underside of the bowl and flipped it over and hallowed it out. Here are today's photos:


The first thing I had to do was create a slot for the Nova Chuck and that went very well. The slot is about 1/2" deep and it's dove tailed. It made the turning blank fit very securely:



The blank has several challenges-it isn't very thick (1 1/2" thick) and I've already cut into it with the 1/2" deep slot. That doesn't leave a lot of wood left to create an arc-shaped bowl interior so I'll have to be careful with this turn, otherwise it's possible to cut completely through to the slot and the top of the wood vice. Not a good idea.
The other problem are the screw holes leftover from the face plate and the same problem applies-not a lot of wood to turn off so as to remove the holes which are visible in the middle of the bowl and you can see them clearly in the photo. So this is going to be a careful turning:



Here's another problem-the wood fibers along the edge of the blank tore yesterday leaving some pitting and holes. That needs to be dealt with carefully as it's easy to damage the edge. A fast turn speed and a very sharp skew chisel will take care of that:


And you can see that the edge got smoothed out:



I kept on turning and slowly removed the interior of the blank to create a bowl and did some preliminary sanding. The screw holes are gone and I didn't damage the blank while turning it. I did get some ridges in the surface, which look wavy in the photograph. I'm a little out of practice as I haven't made a wide flat tray or bowl on the lathe in quite a while so I'll have to flatten that out:


I kept turning and sanding and the bowl is in much better shape now. You can see the arc-shaped surfaces in the next couple of photos:




Tomorrow I'm going to sand the interior surface of the bowl and get it ready for a finish. See you then.

VW

No comments:

Post a Comment