Saturday, October 23, 2021

Final Project for the Year-The Wedding Present/Discussion and Set Up

 Hello All,

As it's getting cold here now, I'm going to be closing down soon. But I think there is still time for one last turning project for this year. A wedding present for my niece Sarah and her fiance Joseph. This project will be a laminated fruit bowl, similar to the one I recently completed but a little bit deeper in depth. Here we go:


I've been laminating leftover lumber from the cabinetmakers together and creating blocks of various sizes this year and if you'll recall, I've made a music box, a serving platter, and the fruit bowl that I kept over the past several months. This is simple construction with various thicknesses and colors placed together randomly and then glued and clamped overnight together until dry. This project is no different:

This block has tigerwood, hickory, white oak, black walnut, Honduras mahogany, and jatoba woods incorporated into it:



Here it is glued and clamped together. It was inside last night as it got too cold here for the glue to dry:



And here it is ready to go. It's about 13 inches in diameter and 3 inches thick. I used Tightbond glue for this project:


My bandsaw is temporarily down for some maintenance. The bearings have nearly frozen (crud) and one of the bolts that holds the bearing framework came loose so the saw blade was off center. I'll set this right shortly and be back up to speed with that and cut the bowl blank out of the block:




Ok, almost all set to go. I'll probably begin working on this tomorrow or Monday.

Stay tuned,
VW

No comments:

Post a Comment