Friday, September 13, 2019

Deck Chair build-continued/beginning the assembly, I think

Hi Everyone,
Well the wood stain is finished and this is the color at this point in time:


It's pretty much the natural color of the wood.

It's been a busy day but I had a couple of hours this afternoon to mess around with it so I thought I would do a dry assembly of the parts just to see what this is going to look like and get a better sense of the size of the chair.

To begin, I clamped an old 2x4 down to the work table so I could properly line up the legs:


And then I began assembling the sides. I was a little unclear about exactly how this goes together but I did figure out how to orient the front legs and the lap joint properly so I proceeded to assemble both sides of the chair:


Once I did that, I got out my clamp collection and put the chair together and I thought it looked a little bit large, especially the space where the seat will be. I grabbed one of the arm pieces with the idea of clamping it in place for the photograph and that part didn't fit. As I was really careful cutting out the parts, it took me a minute of looking at it to realize that I assembled the sides incorrectly. The rear legs should be on the inside of the frame and not on the outside of the frame so I have to take it apart and re-do it in the morning:


But the good news is at least the parts fit properly and the chair doesn't rock! Well that's good news anyway.

So tomorrow I'll re-do it and we'll see how it goes from there.

Stay tuned,
VW

No comments:

Post a Comment