Wednesday, September 18, 2019

Deck Chair Build, continued-staining

Hello All,

Well I've begun staining the chair and it looks better than it did. Here's the photos:


I was going to mask off the chair seat but the tape wouldn't stick to it so I got some heavy printer paper out and cut it into strips and stuck the edges into the crevice between the chair seat and the rest of the frame and it worked. It kept the brown stain off of the red stain:



After that I proceeded to stain all of the framework I could reach. I left the stain on for about 5 minutes and wiped off the excess and I'm glad I did or it would have gotten darker than I would have liked:


And here are the arms of the chair which have largely been in the background:

Now I'm going to let the whole thing dry really well so I probably won't be back to work on it until late tomorrow. Then I'll stain the underside and touch up the little nooks and crannies with cotton applicators and more stain.

The decision as to whether or not it's an outdoor chair has been decided: it will be an indoor chair that is capable of going outdoors so I'm going to finish it with spar varnish. That will give it a shiny finish and the gold color of the varnish should give the chair colors a more rich look.

The infill, which is the last part to be built, will be made out of 3/8" thick pine lattice, stained red like the chair seat and then have some Mexican tile glued to it to give the chair color and detail. So we have a ways to go.

Stay tuned,
VW

No comments:

Post a Comment