Thursday, September 19, 2019

Deck Chair Build, continued: Staining and finish work and the infill section

Hi Everyone,

Well I went down to the wood shop to check on the chair and it's still a little oily feeling from yesterday's staining. So I let it continue to dry out and that will probably take several more days for it to really be bone dry and ready for varnishing.

While it's drying out, I made the slats for the infill and stained them red like the chair seat and I also cut and trimmed a small piece of moulding to cover the long joint line between the 2x4s that the front legs are built from. Those I've stained brown to match the legs. See the next two photos:



I've been looking at Mexican tile online and I'm not sure how that will come out. Most of the tile I've seen are printed with patterns and the separations between those slats in the photo above might disrupt that pattern enough that it winds up looking kind of odd. I'll keep exploring that however-I think those tiles would add some much needed color and detail to the chair.

I'm going to begin cleaning out the shop and get the chair dusted off for staining next.

Stay tuned,
VW


No comments:

Post a Comment