Wednesday, September 14, 2011

The Walnut Bowl

Hi Everyone,
Well when I came home today, I had a serious case of wood turning fever and I had to get outside and work on the walnut bowl I started last week. So that's exactly what I did. I smoothed the underside and cut a very shallow foot:



Wow, check out that grain. Isn't that lovely?

I decided since the grain pattern is so lovely not to add any adornment to the surface of the bowl. The wood speaks for itself.

Having decided that, I flipped it over and began hollowing it out. Here is a photo of the lathe spinning and I've cut out the edge of the rim:


Here we are several minutes into hollowing it out:


And here we are about 15 minutes after the above photo:


Now the question arises: How deep should the bowl be cut? This blank was originally about 2 1/2 inches thick so we can't cut forever but it does need to be a little deeper. But how much deeper?


I cut it about 1/4 inches deeper and decided to stop. Here is another photo:


I've taken it off the lathe and brought it upstairs and I'm just going to contemplate it for the next day or so.

What do you think? Should it be a little deeper or should I play it safe and leave it as is?

Let me know what you think.
More tomorrow,
VW

No comments:

Post a Comment