Sunday, September 6, 2020

The Calico Bowl project-Hollowing out the bowl

 Hello All,

For those of you in the US, I hope you're all having a good Labor Day weekend. For everyone else, I hope you're having a good day.

Well, the bottom of the bowl is finished so it's time to flip it over and create the rim and begin hollowing it out. Before I did that though there were two important questions to be asked and answered, namely how deep should the bowl be and how thick should the wall be?

The entire blank was 5 inches thick, with a 1/2 slot on the bottom to accommodate the Nova chuck. So I'm going to go with a depth of approx. 4 inches. And since the sides of the bowl are concave, I'm going to turn the wall to a thickness of 3/4". 

Ok, with that decided, here are today's photos:

Here's the top of the blank. I mounted a faceplate on it and when I was removing the screws, sigh, I broke two of the screws. In the lower photo you can see the top of one of them:



In this photo you can see that I've turned away the surface and marked off a 1" boarder. This will give me enough wood to turn the rim and refine it bit by bit:



Here you can see the blank with nearly 1" of wood removed and the rim roughed out:




And here is the rim from the side. It will need more work as this the process plays out:


Tomorrow I'll have to go and get a plug cutter to remove the screws and then I'll be able to proceed with the turn.

See you soon,
VW

No comments:

Post a Comment