Saturday, September 19, 2020

The Calico Bowl, continued-bowl depth reached, and Coffee Table Update

 Hi All,

Well, I've taken the bowl off the lathe. The bowl is very close to 4" deep and to avoid cutting into the slot for the vice underneath (I did that once-what a disaster that was) I'm going to stop hollowing now and not press my luck.

The bowl still needs a fair amount of work but the bulk of the hard work is past. Here's today's photos:

In this first photo you can see a lot of deep scratching on the inside wall. That will have to be removed by turning:


Here's a photo of the outside of the bowl. I love the colors and mix of wood. I'm quite pleased with this:

The side that has a big thick piece of white oak:


And that's the bottom:

The bowl is sitting on my dining room table right now. It's heavy and given it's size and composition quite striking in appearance. I think this will make a great center piece for a party.

______

Coffee table update

I have the parts for the top cut and I'm still staining the parts for the frame work. The orange color is horrifying and the whole thing will need more staining, possibly with a deeper color of brown.

Here's some photos:


The photo doesn't do it justice-it's bright orange (sigh):


The top is going to be a bread board style construction. The boards for the center of the top are about 34 inches long. I was going to leave the printing on the boards on for an industrial look-I took a poll of friends about this and most voted not to do this so I'll flip them over:


Here's what the ends of the top will look like. I've removed the corners-I can just imagine myself walking into the corners all the time, getting sick and tired of that, and placing the table outside with a free sign on it so off came the corners:



I'm going to go and do some more staining on the frame. Stay tuned.

VW

No comments:

Post a Comment