Thursday, July 9, 2015

Wedding Quaich out of Norwegian Maple

Hi Everyone,

Well, it's been a busy day today. I seem to be in full wedding mode right now so I thought to end the day, I would turn a small quaich out of a piece of a branch from a Norwegian maple tree that came from the backyard of some good friends of mine. The tree had been in their backyard for many years and it became root bound and consequently grew very dense wood. The oldest daughter of these friends is getting married in September and knew the tree as a youngster so it seems appropriate to make her a quaich from the tree she probably played on as a kid.

Here goes:

My friends had the tree removed a few years back and they gave me a portion of a branch. I took it home and let it dry and cut a small section off on my bandsaw. I'm going to split it in half with my hatchet:

Whack! It cut cleanly in half. I'm going to use the larger piece on the right:


I took it back to the wood shop and drilled a hole in it:

And mounted it on the lathe:

And I turned the face of the piece. And true to form, the maple is dry and fine grained and turning without a problem:


Unfortunately, I'm unable to load any more photos for the moment. Suffice it to say I've turned the block into a cup with handles. The cup is rather shallow at the moment so I may deepen it a little and I'm going to finish the rim and handles with a carving knife this evening. At some point I hope I'll be able to post a finish photograph. 

Stay tuned,
VW

No comments:

Post a Comment