Friday, July 19, 2013

The Poplar Bowl, continued

Hi Everyone,

I went back down to the wood shop this morning and hollowed out the poplar bowl. Here are the photos and notes for this phase of the turn:


In this photograph I had been turning the bowl for several minutes and it's beginning to hollow out. Note the center of the bowl we're I've drilled out the center with a large Forstner bit. This helps to establish the depth of the bowl and it also removes the center, which owning to the fact that the center spins more slowly than the rim, can cause it to tear instead of cut smoothly:


I put the camera down and turned the inside for another 45 minutes or so. The turn has proceeded very well as the wood is dry and it's cutting easily:


Before I take it off the lathe, I turned my attention to the rim. Here you see a wide area-this is going to be divided into a rim and two narrow beads below it:


And this photo shows this area turned into a fancier rim:


I took the bowl off the lathe and took it inside to look at more. I think it still needs to be hollowed out more and deepened a little bit. Here is are two views of the bowl as it stands right now:



I'm going to leave it for a few hours and think about hollowing it out more. After the turn is finished it will need considerable sanding and smoothing. I'll cover all of this in a subsequent posting.

VW

No comments:

Post a Comment