Friday, October 21, 2011

TGIF

Hi Everyone,
Well, its been a long week and when I woke up this morning, I decided to go down to the wood shop and unwind a bit. My youngest son loves salsa and I had a block of what was labeled as sassafras wood. He asked me if I would make him a custom salsa bowl so I went down and got to work.

Well, it's not sassafras. I think it's red birch, which is ok as birch is really good turning wood.

I went through the usual steps of cutting the block down and attaching it to the lathe and as it's not a large bowl, I cut through it fairly quickly. Here are inside and side views of the resulting bowl:



This wood was unseasoned so it's going to have to dry for a couple of weeks and then I'll sand it down and put a food safe varnish on it to protect the wood from acidic tomatoes.

I'm also going to be making another black ash and Brazilian cherry bowl for a young friend's mother. As you've seen me make those before, I won't post process photos for that bowl.

More later,
VW

No comments:

Post a Comment