Here is the rest of the process photos from this morning. I just finished turning this:
If you remember from yesterday, I constructed a turning blank for the lid from two pieces of birch. The pieces have a wooden pin inside and the whole thing is held together with CA glue. Here is a picture from yesterday:
I then cut out the lid on the bandsaw and placed it on the lathe:
The blank needed to be trued up and flattened on the bottom and it also needed a tenon (the slot in the picture) cut for later attachment to the lathe:
Now the hard part: I have to cut a lip along the edge of the lid so the whole thing will fit snugly on top of the bowl. Yesterday I cut a lip onto the top edge of the bowl that is 5mm wide so we need to cut a lip about 6-7mm wide so it will fit. Here's the photo:
After I cut the lip, it had to be hand fitted just a tiny bit and viola-it worked:
The next step involves placing this whole unit back on the lathe and turning them together so I can true up the side and make the diameters of both match:
The last step involved shaping the top of the lid and cutting out the knob and smoothing the whole thing down:
And here is the finished box:
It needs a considerable amount of sanding which I'll do over the next couple of days. I'll post a final photo when it is done.
I have several more bowls to turn and then I'm going to close the shop, clean everything and do some work on the tools. As my shop is not heated and it's getting colder, it is a good time to stop and enjoy the holidays.
I'll be back in a day or two with info on the bowls and a final photo of the earring box. Thanks for stopping by and have a good weekend.