Friday, July 12, 2019

Rustic X-Console project, continued-cutting everything down to size

Hi Everyone,

Well it's time to get this project off the ground so here goes:

I'm going to be making this out of western red cedar which is not entirely dry. If you decide to use this type of wood, it can be a challenge to cut it on table saw. The lumber is heavier than dry wood and the wood can be difficult to move across a saw table. It can also shift position while your cutting it and that can lead to an accident. It's best if you cut the parts by hand with a handsaw and trim off the edges and cut it to length on the table saw. Also it's not ready to be sanded at all at this point. So be very careful.

I'll be cutting the wood up and then letting sit and stabilize for a few days before I resume working on it.

If you're a little leery of making something out of this type of wood I would recommend using kiln dried pine for this project or if you have access and a lot of money, red wood would be nice too:


Then just as I was about to really get into cutting the wood, a storm with 60 mile per hour winds moved in so I'm inside for the time being.

I sure hope it blows out just as fast as it came in:


I got upstairs just in time to move my tomato plants and rose bushes into a sheltered area when the wind suddenly died down. Typical.

I'll be back I hope in a little while.
Stay tuned,
VW

OK, I'm back. At the last minute as the wind was really riving up for a good blow, it suddenly stopped and went some place else.

I finished cutting the rest of the wood for the frame and I've taken the cut parts inside and laid them out on the floor to dry some. The top is made out of 2x6 cedar and I'm going to wait and cut that to length when I'm ready to fasten that on. And I need to get another 1x12"x6' cedar board tomorrow as I only got one when I purchased the wood.


Ok. I'll check on the wood on Sunday and see how it's going.

Tomorrow I'll be working on an iron pour project. Those of you who have been following me a long time will remember that I went to several of them years ago and made some molded iron plates out of them. Tomorrow I'm going to go and pick up a sand mold and get it ready for the iron pour next month so stay tuned for that.
And I'm working on a spoon too:

See you tomorrow,
VW

No comments:

Post a Comment