Wednesday, July 17, 2019

Rustic-X Console continued-assembling the framework

Hi Everyone,

Well between hot miserable weather, lots of rain, tons of bumble bees chasing me around in the wood shop, and some difficulty is assembling the frame, I've made slow progress on the console.

Here's some photos:

General notes: the frame is very long and you will either need a very long work table, or two shorter tables pushed together (my solution), or a very flat floor or deck surface to assemble the sides of the frame. It also helps a lot to have a second pair of hands, some wooden wedges, and some long pipe clamps (I'm using 48" long pipe clamps) to hold parts together while you're assembling and screwing the parts together.

The frame consists of 6 2x4s, 12 2x2s, and two 1x12 boards that are the shelves. All these parts need to fit together snugly so as to result in a strong frame that doesn't wobble. In this first photograph you can see that the 2x2 and the 2x4 on the right hand side of the frame don't line up very well. This would result in a gap between that structure and the shelf so I had to unscrew it and  re-assemble it:



I think you can see what I'm saying in the photo a little better:



 Here is a photo of the set up I used. Those pipe clamps really come in handy. It also helps to have a plastic mallet handy to tap parts into place:


And this is what it looks like completely assembled:


I'm in the middle of assembling the second frame right. I decided to come inside and cool off a bit. Tomorrow I'll put the whole thing together.

See you then,
VW

No comments:

Post a Comment