Friday, February 19, 2016

Baby Cradle-I'm going to be a grandmother! Discussion and plans

Hi Everyone,

My first project for 2016 is going to be a baby cradle. I am going to become a first time grandparent in April and I'm going to construct a floor cradle for the new arrival.*

Discussion

Many years ago in a wood working project book I had purchased was a set of plans for a baby cradle. I loved the cradle and kept the book and the plans all these years with the hope that some day I would have use for them. I found out last year that my daughter-in-law Kristie would be having a baby in late April of 2016 so I dug out the book and began planning.

Plans

Here is a photograph of the cradle I plan to build:


The plans and the photograph appear in the following book:

Sunset Children's Furniture
Editors of Sunset Books and Magazine
Menlo Park, CA: Lane Publishing, 1985
ISBN: 0-376-01268-4

It is sized to take a cradle mattress 18" x 36" in size and the plans specify select pine, which I have purchased.

And you can see that the Ginger Majesties will be assisting with this.

Now as these plans are probably still under copyright I can't give you the exact plan details but I will show you step by step how I will build it.

I will be altering the plans a little. I plan to use my Kreg jig and screws to construct the cradle along with wood glue. I'll also be using Minwax satin rub on polyurethane for the finish.

I'll begin the project tomorrow and work on it over the weekend and next week. Hopefully by the time the mattress arrives, the cradle will be finished.

Stay tuned-see you tomorrow.

VW

*It's a boy!


No comments:

Post a Comment