Wednesday, July 13, 2022

Yarn Lazy Susan, Part 4: Assembly and Completion Photos

 Hello All,

Well, I got them done. Assembly was a bit more involved than I thought it would be so lets just jump right in with some photos:

When last we met, I had completed the wooden parts of the project and I was getting ready to glue on the washers that I had polished:



The next step was to mix up some epoxy and for this I used JB Weld. I love this stuff and I use it for all sorts of complex gluing problems:


When you mix up the two ingredients for the epoxy you'll get a battleship-grey colored epoxy:


Then I smeared a bit of the epoxy on the unpolished sides of the washers:


And set them in place on the inside faces of the wood parts. I used a couple of pieces of 1/2" dowel to help guide the washers in place:



And here is a photo of all the washers in place. I let all that set over night:



The next step was to make some non-skid patches out of some rubber sheeting like the kind you use to line tool drawers with, to apply to the bottom of the base. This will prevent the lazy susan from sliding off of a table. Here you can see 4" square patches being laid out:



And here is the patch in place. I used 3M spray adhesive to glue this on:



The last part, the setting of the rods into the top and bottom pieces, was the most difficult. I bought 1/2" diameter 12" long wooden rods for this and I used a 1/2" Forstner bit to drill the holes. The rods were just a wee bit too wide to fit into the 1/2" diameter holes so I had to sit down and whittle them down to where they would fit into the holes. Several rods had to go onto the lathe to be shaved down. But I got them in place and glued them in with Super Glue. 

Done.

Here's what they look like:






They all spin freely on the washers even though I haven't added any oil. Here's a photo of one of the lazy susan's with a skein of yarn on it:


All finished. And as an added bonus a baby deer dropped by to say hello:




The next time I make these I'm going to add more style and detail to the wooden parts and that all will be happening in August.

That's all for now. Take care and see you all soon.
VW

No comments:

Post a Comment