Tuesday, July 5, 2022

Yarn Lazy Susan, Part 3: applying the finish and working on the fender washers

 Hi Everyone,

Well I got going early today and I finished applying the first coat of poly to the wooden parts:





And I also finished the wooden rods.

I've been a little worried about the ability of the fender washers to move across one another so as to make the top part-wood rod-yarn skein spin easily. The washers are smooth but there is enough roughness across the surface and especially the edges, to make spinning difficult:






 The answer to that is to polish the surfaces but I don't have a buffing wheel so here is what I did instead-I have a couple of emery boards that I used years ago to sharpen a small knife I owned. For those of you who don't know what an emery board is, it's a small tongue-blade sized piece of plastic that is covered with what is essentially very fine wet or dry paper and is used for buffing fingernails. 
These are great for sharpening tools too. Anyway I had one and I also had a chunk of red buffing compound. I rubbed some of the buffing compound onto the emery board and polished the surface of one of the washers and voila! it worked!





It really smoothed down the surface of the washer so I proceeded to buff one side of all the washers. They glad effortlessly across the surface of one another so they should be good for a spinning motion.
That problem solved and I didn't have to go out and buy anything either.

The wood parts are drying and tomorrow if they are dry enough, I'll give them all another coat of poly. 
As soon as that is dry, I'll epoxy the washers, and lastly glue a layer of soft rubber lining from a tool box on the bottom and then I'm done.

Stay tuned.
VW



No comments:

Post a Comment