Monday, July 4, 2022

Yarn Lazy Susan, Part 2: sanding the parts and working on the rods

 Hi Everyone,

Well it was a hot, humid day so I went out to the woodshop and did some work. I got all the wooden parts sanded smooth and I also beveled the ends of the wooden rods. Here's today's photos:

Here you can just see the parts sanded smooth. This is the ideal scrap wood project as it uses up all the small pieces that wind up getting saved after larger project. The round parts vary diameter, anywhere from 6" to 7 1/2" in diameter and at least 1" thick. Some of the bases are 2" thick. I wanted to use hardwoods as they are denser than soft woods and a little more likely to stay on a table without tipping. For this project I used maple, birch, mahogany, goncalo alves (aka tiger wood), jatoba, and hickory :

 
And here is a shot of the wooden rods. These are all red oak and I beveled the ends on my table sander:



I'll smooth and round the end that the yarn will slip over so as not to cause a snag.

So that's it for today. Tomorrow I'll give everything a coat of polyurethane.

See you then,
VW

No comments:

Post a Comment