Saturday, July 23, 2022

End Grain Cutting Board-Completion Photos

 Hi Everyone,

Well, I finished it and here it is:




It's hot here and the glue dried a lot sooner than I expected so I went and took it out of the clamps, trimmed the edges and sanded the top and bottom smooth with a belt sander. As for the finish, since oil finishes tend to soften soft woods, I used General Finishes Salad bowl finish on all the sides. It will probably take a number of coats of finish to really seal the top as end grain tends to absorb finishes like a sponge.

The only thing else I wish I could do is chamfer the edges but I'd have to take my table saw apart and remove the splitter to do so. But I did ease the edges with some sand paper and that will have to be it for now.

Here's several more photos:







I think this project is doable but with harder wood and given that everything is costing more this year, finding wood for this is going to be a challenge. If I can get some suitable and reasonably priced wood I'll do an initial run of 6 boards and see how this goes.

I'm going to use this in my own kitchen and see how it holds up.

Ok, I'm going be doing some painting and some maintenance on some of our deck furniture so I'm going to be gone for a couple of weeks. When I come back I'm going to make some more yarn lazy susan's with some improvements and I'll blog about that.

Stay cool everyone,
VW

No comments:

Post a Comment