Thursday, May 16, 2019

Perfume Tray continued-working on the finish

Hi Everyone,

Well the stain on the tray parts dried over night and the color looks fine:


I put the first coat of polyurethane on the surface and I suspect given that it's a warm day today I'll be able to put another coat on this evening. As this is destined for the master bathroom at my friend's home, I'll put 4 coats of poly on it to help it resist the moisture. As soon that is done, I'll put the handles on and assemble it and off it will go to her house.
Stay tuned for the finish photos.

What's Next?

I've got several large logs from trees that fell down in a storm a number of years ago. I brought them home and placed them in the shop and promptly completely forgot about them. I dug them out last week and decided to split a couple of them open to see if they are suitable for carving:

So I got my log splitting stuff out. My kids gave me that hatchet for Mother's Day some years back. Great thing to give to mom on days like that:


And here's the log. It's from a pine tree that came down several miles from here:


Nothing can resist splitting wedges and me!


There it is. Hmmm...I'll have to cogitate about this. I'm going to bite the bullet and rent a chain saw next week and cut up several more logs and see what I find so stay tuned for that.


While I'm waiting on the saw and completing the tray, I need to replace the chair seats on my dining room table:

Yes, those are beyond bad-I'd say rather grim. I'm going to remove the seats and replace them with solid wood seats from some scrap pine I have.

So stay tuned and we'll meet up again here in the shop this weekend.

Have a good one,
VW

No comments:

Post a Comment