Tuesday, May 21, 2019

Chair Seats project

Hello All,

Today I'm going to fix a problem that has annoyed me for a while now and here it is:


The most disgusting dining room chairs in the world. And this is the nice one! We bought these chairs many years ago and they've held up really well. But the last several years they've become more and more worn and now they all look like the chair in the photograph.

The frames are metal and in excellent shape and it would be silly to discard them so I removed one of the seats with the intention re-using the frame to re-upholster it. The frame is made out of some really solid hardboard and I have no way of stapling new fabric to it so that idea was out. 

I also couldn't find chair seating in the same dimensions as the existing frame. So I remembered that I had a couple of old laminated panels in the shop and given that they are about 1 1/2" pine, decided to use those.

So I used the old frame as a pattern and cut out a seat with my saber saw:



Next I smoothed the edges on the table sander. After that I rounded over the edge on the front of the seat to make it comfortable to sit on and I also smoothed all the sharp edges with sand paper:



And this is what it's going to look like on a chair:


As the panels that the seats will be cut out of are different colors, I'm planning on painting these to achieve a uniform appearance.

I need to cut out 3 more seats and figure out a pleasant color for the seats. Stay tuned.

VW


No comments:

Post a Comment