As most of you know, I've been trying to make a small knitting needle case for a friend of mine, Katie, for a while now. I've tried various woods and equipment and I always go down in flames.
Except for today!
I think I finally have made one that I can give to someone without wincing:
This is a needle case made out of rosewood with two cable knitting needles out of bamboo:
You can see that the rebate is made out of a different wood. I tried to make a case with a top and rebate out of solid wood but I just haven't mastered that as yet.
I used the Nova chuck jaws that I got for my birthday and they were not the right type of jaws for this type of turn. The jaws are made to turn either square turning blanks or tapered blanks. This is a cylinder shape-ed blank and it just didn't turn correctly. Coupled with the fact that the jaws don't quite fit my chuck-they rattle a little and so this caused a wobble when the blank was spinning. Oh well.
I'm going to try a different set up with my lathe and give this another shot.