I put another layer of lacquer on the tea box this weekend for a total of three layers and let it dry out yesterday until this morning. I took a look at it and decided to place it on the lathe one last time to polish it and here is what it looks like:
The outer lid has begun sticking a bit so I've brought the whole thing inside and I'm going to leave it disassembled for a few days to see if the wood shrinks a little. It has been very humid here in the Midwest the past several days and the wood may have distorted a little in response to the ambient moisture in the air. This is going to eventually live in Southern California where it is drier and warmer and it's possible the lid might dry out and shrink a little and loosen up. So we'll see where this goes.
I'm satisfied with the piece overall and I don't plan on doing anything more to it so we'll stick a fork in it and call it done. I'll mail it at weeks end.
And, I got myself a birthday present: pen jaws for my Nova chuck! Those of you who have been reading the blog for a while will remember my past attempts at turning needle cases for yarn needles several years ago. Well, to make a long story short, I failed miserably at it because at the time I couldn't drill a hole accurately down the center of long blocks of wood. With these jaws I'll be able to drill a hole exactly in the center of small diameter blocks of wood. I'm very jazzed as you might guess and I'll do a turning later this week.
See you later this week,