Wednesday, August 19, 2020

Calico Bowl Project-working on the turning blank

 Hi Everyone,

Today I spent some time working on the bowl blank. Here's today's photos and discussion.

You'll remember from the previous post that I had cut most of the wood to length and wound up with wooden boards with different widths. I spent my wood shop time today refining the blanks and cutting several more to make the turning block large enough:



So I began trimming down the widths of the boards on the table saw:


And I added several more boards to the stack. Here it is at 13 1/2 inches high x 14 inches wide:




Here's a photo of the blank laid out on a table. If you look closely, you can see the outline of the cut line on the edges of the boards. This blank will fit into the bandsaw for sawing it from a square to a large round blank ready for turning.



I think I have a good mix of colors and grain patterns. I also have two furniture grade pieces of plywood in the blank. Plywood looks lovely when it's turned.

Ok, the next step is to glue it all together tomorrow and while I'm waiting for that to dry, I'll change the saw on the band saw to a wider, coarser blade.

See you later this week,
VW

No comments:

Post a Comment