Tuesday, August 25, 2020

Calico Bowl Project, continued: Shaping the bottom of the bowl

 Hi All,

Well, work proceeds slowly on the calico bowl. It would go a little bit faster if it wasn't so hot and humid right now (and tomorrow is supposed to be worse). But I worked on it for a bit and here are today's photos:

Here in this photo you can see the markings for the edge and the foot of the bowl:



So I turned on the lathe and began removing wood from the surface. As this wood is hard, it took a while to see the shape of the bottom begin to emerge but eventually it did. I used a roughing gouge to round off the bottom edge and remove about 1/4" of wood up to the edge of the foot. Then I used a straight scraper to refine the surface somewhat and this is what it looks like:





It looks pretty good. Next I got out the Titan III chuck as I'm going to need to cut a deep slot into the foot for it to sit in and provide the attachment point for the lathe:

Add caption


And here it is marked off. I'll cut that out tomorrow with a bedan tool, slowly.



Ok, tomorrow, more refining the bottom and the sides.

See you soon,

VW

No comments:

Post a Comment