Monday, June 8, 2020

Pet urn continued-hollowing out the urn


Hi Again,

I began hollowing out the urn with turning chisels and that didn't work out against the end grain of the urn so I switched to Forstner bits. I began with a 2" diameter bit but that was way too big to cut through the wood without heating it up and probably cracking it. And then the lathe stopped working. So I decided to let everything cool down and start again.

So I removed the wide bit and began with a 3/4" wide bit and that worked handily and I worked up the diameter of the bits a 1/8" at a time and got it hollowed out without a problem. 

Here's the photos:
Here you can see inside of the urn and the various levels I'd had turned to:


And here it is hollowed all the way out. It's 3" deep x 2 1/8" wide. I haven't figured out the volumne yet:


Now I realize that I'm lucky I have a set of Forstner bits on hand because if I didn't I'm not sure how I would have hollowed this out. Moral of the story: think about hollowing before anything else!

Next step: I'm going to take the urn off of the lathe, flip it over and re-attach it and begin working on the top and urn closure using a brass garden hose fitting in the photo below:

Stay tuned,
VW

No comments:

Post a Comment