Thursday, June 11, 2020

Pet Urn continued-drilling the top part of the urn

Hi Everyone,

In my last post I briefly mentioned using a brass hose fitting to create an opening in the top of the lid so the urn can be re-opened at a later date and that's what I did today. Here's today's photos:


I took the urn off the lathe so I could flip it over and begin drilling the top. In this photo the body of the urn in 5 inches high:



This is the top. The depth of the interior is 3 inches so that gave me 2 inches of solid wood to work with:

This is the hose fitting I'm going to use. It's about 1 3/4" high with the top on:


And the flange is about 1 1/4' in diameter:


This is part of the fitting that will be inserted and epoxied into the base:


Here's the urn after it's been drilled. I drilled a hole 1 1/4 inches wide by about 7/8 inche deep:


 This is the same thing only with the urn off the lathe and the fitting just sitting inside of the hole. Next I finishing drilling a smaller hole, 3/4" in diameter to create an opening into the interior:



 And this is what it looks like now. I'll place a bead of epoxy underneath the flange and sit the fitting into place:

This is what it will look like without the top:

Now the next thing I need to do is make a lid that the cap in the photo will fit into. That way the top can be screwed on and off easily. I have some mahogany in the shop and I also have a thick piece of goncalo alves wood too that turns very nicely. Either one would make a lovely top and bottom pieces so that is the next thing that I'll do.

Stay tuned,
VW












No comments:

Post a Comment