Wednesday, June 26, 2019

Bedside table project-working on the finish

Hello All,

Well when I came back outside this morning I decided just to place the top and bottom shelf on the frame just to see what it looks like and I think the proportions are just right-if I don't goof this up, I'll have a really nice table with a large top for books, reading lamp, and other stuff:



I proceeded to take the shelf and top off and rub down the stain on the framework and it looks ok. The color is darker than I wanted and I'm not sure why-it's the same color I used years ago on the other bedside table. The stain gives the frame a rustic look, which I like, but the color is off. Oh well, nothing I can do about this now:



Now on to the top and bottom shelf: the top is dry and it's sturdy and it looks good. I'm glad I cut it to size yesterday as that makes handling it easier:


I'm going to have to attach it to the frame when it's done and I sat down and dithered about that for a while. While the frame is strong and stable I'm used to building things really strong and so I'm going to strengthen the structure by firmly screwing the top and bottom shelf onto the frame, which means I'm going to screw it down from the top to the frame. So I turned the frame upside down and placed it on the top and marked it for drilling:


I'm going to use  #6  1&1/2" wood screws to attach it and wooden plugs to cover up the tops of the screws.

I finished up the afternoon by staining the top and bottom shelf to match the frame and I'm leaving everything to dry completely. Tomorrow I'll begin applying poly urethane to all the parts:



See you tomorrow,
VW

No comments:

Post a Comment