Sunday, June 23, 2019

Bedside table project-discussion and plans and beginning build

Hello All,

An itty bitty part on my tablesaw broke and we finally got it fixed and up and running so for my first official summer project I'm making a simple bedside table for myself out of pine from the local big box store.

Discussion and Plans

A long time ago I built a similar table for my living room and at that time all the tools I had was a hand saw, a small power sander, a very old corded drill and a box of bits and some glue. I didn't even have a table to work on so I built it on the floor of my garage. Happily the table came out well and we've used it for years. My husband currently uses it as a bedside table on his side of the bed. Since I'm back to working again I've decided to coordinate the things I build so they match - hopefully everything will look more intentional instead just thrown together.

The table will have a frame made out of simple construction grade 2x4s and 1x3s pine and have a solid pine top and shelf underneath. It will be stained sedona red and finished with polyurethane, both products by Minwax.


I'm using Kreg screws and the jig to build with.

And I'll probably use a glued up pine panel for the top and bottom shelf.

Very simple and it can be modified to make a taller or shorter table or any table of any size for a living room or a den.

Ok let's get started:

Photos-

Cutting the parts was simple and I did that on the table saw:


Once I cut the legs I clamped them all together, measured 20 1/2", and trimmed them on the table saw so they're all exactly the same length. I did the same thing with the apron pieces at 18":

I drilled the holes for the screws into the ends of the aprons:


And proceeded to assemble the ends of the frames. I used 1/2" thick pieces of plywood to inset the apron parts 1/2" from the face of the 2x4s:

Here's a side view of the plywood spacers:


And I checked everything for square and screwed the parts together:


And this is what one end of the frame looks like. I made two of them and then stopped for the day:


Ok, tomorrow I'll assemble the rest of the frame, apply wood sealant to it and stain it. And I'll make a decision about the top and bottom shelf.

See you soon,
VW



No comments:

Post a Comment