Tuesday, June 25, 2019

Bedside Table project-building the top and bottom shelf

Hi Everyone,

I sat around and debated what to make the top and bottom shelf out of. Originally I was going to purchase a laminated pine panel and make those parts out of that. Except that I couldn't find any laminated panels locally (I guess everyone is out building tables at the moment) so it was on to plan B.

I wound up finding some clear ship lap pine on sale. The boards were 36" long and 8" wide and in good condition so I bought 8 of them and took them home and began making panels out of them.



I made the bottom shelf first as it's smaller and easier to move around. The bottom shelf required 3 boards trimmed down to 25 inches long. Next I trimmed off the edges of the two outer boards which left them about 5 inches wide. All three came to 18" wide and this will fit the bottom rails just fine:



I took the boards, ran a bead of glue along the groove in the boards and clamped them together. They should be dry enough to take out of the clamp later tonight:


I did the top next. The dimensions of the original table's top are 27"x27" so I proceeded to make a table top with those dimensions. This isn't glued up or attached to the table frame yet but this is roughly what it will look like when this is glued and dried:



I'll glue and clamp this later today.

Tomorrow I'll stain the frame and the top and bottom shelf and begin the finishing process.

Stay tuned,
VW

No comments:

Post a Comment