Sunday, October 21, 2018

Making a Walnut Cutting board-finally assembled and glued

Hi Everyone,

Well I spent the afternoon assembling, gluing and clamping the cutting board. Here are the photos from today:

Here is a photo of the board jumped clamped together-no glue. I wanted to see what it will look like when I'm done and to measure the threaded rods accurately:


Now for the challenging part-I needed to cut the threaded rod long enough so the nut and the washer would fit inside the holes I drilled in the end pieces but short enough to accommodate the wooden plugs. After some measuring, I settled on 10 1/8" long and that was long enough for all three rods:


So I got everything cut and ready to go. We have a box with a lot of socket wrenches and various handles and I got lucky to find the right sized socket and a small handle to fit it. If I ever do this again, I'm going to find the socket first:


Now for the irritating part of this: inserting the rods, the washers, the nuts, and gluing everything together all at once. I couldn't come up with a stupider way of doing this. Next time I'll just get some construction adhesive and use that instead of all this. What a headache:


I've got four bar clamps attached to the board at present and since it's turned much colder it's inside my house drying.

Ok, tomorrow I'll unclamp it and we'll see how it came out.

Stay tuned,
VW

No comments:

Post a Comment