Monday, October 22, 2018

Making a Walnut Cutting Board-clamping done and beginning the finishing process


Hi Everyone,
I let the clamps and glue do their thing over night and this morning I removed the clamps. The cutting board is now one solid piece of wood and ready for finishing. Here's today's photos:


Ok, here is the board with the clamps removed. It's strong and heavy and in one piece so the assembly part of the build is finished. Now on to shaping and surface smoothing:


First I cut about 1/8" inch off of each end to get rid of squeezed out glue and uneven ends and I did this on the bandsaw. Next I nipped off the corners to get rid of those sharp edges:


Then I beveled the long edges of the board, again to get rid of any sharp edges. This I did with a block plane and a wood file:


Then I briefly sanded the long sides of the board smooth. A helper elf somewhere really tightened the clamps down hard after I set the block aside to dry last night and left a lot of dents on the wood. I got the dents out but I was rather annoyed at that:


Here's a photo of one of the corners:


Now for smoothing the faces of the board-for this I got out my set of cabinet scrapers and began scraping off dried glue and uneven areas. I'd much rather scrape the surface rather than sand it smooth at this point. Sanding is loud, messy, and the vibration hurts my hands.
I hate sanding.


And here it is after about 30 minutes of scraping. I need to sharpen my scrapers before I proceed. I should be able to get rid of the sawing marks on the surface with a sharp scraper:


I'm gong to spend the next several days gradually smoothing the surfaces of the board and I'll show you what that looks like in a day or two.

Stay tuned,
VW

No comments:

Post a Comment