Saturday, October 20, 2018

Making a Walnut Cutting Board, continued

Hello Everyone,

Well, I had a good day in the wood shop today and I got the walnut pieces marked and drilled for the threaded rods I plan to insert inside. Here are some photos from today:


The first thing I did was line up all of the pieces carefully and then I drew a line across the faces. Then I turned them over once and placed each piece on it's side and carefully extended that line down the sides. I marked the each hole 22 mm from the edge of each piece. Here you can see a small hole from my awl:


Then I proceeded to drill each hole. I drilled it several sizes larger than the threaded rod so it would easily pass through the wood:



Here is what each piece looked like after I finished drilling. There are 3 center pieces and two end pieces. I drilled the center pieces first all the way through:


And what do you know-I got them drilled straight through! Yeah!!



Now the end pieces will have a 1/2" white oak dowel plug covering the holes with the rods, a washer, and a lock nut inside. So these pieces were drilled twice-once with a 1/2" Forstner bit and then with the drill bit I used to drill the holes in the center pieces:



I wasn't sure if the holes would line up properly but with some care they did:


And here you can see how the holes line up. I'll be able to insert a washer and that will help with tightening the rod and nut together:


Here is the threaded rod passing through one side:



And all the way through!! Success!


Ok the next step involves gluing, inserting the rod and the hardware into the holes, clamping the block tightly, and then tightening the nuts down on the rod and leaving it all to dry. Since it's getting cold outside, too cold for the glue to dry, I'll do this part of the build tomorrow.

Stay tuned and see you tomorrow,
VW

No comments:

Post a Comment