Tuesday, October 23, 2018

Making a Walnut Board-done sanding and beginning to oil it

Hello Everyone,

Well here it is:



I got up early today and went downstairs and worked on the cutting board with my cabinet scrapers.


I scraped and I scraped and leveled the surface and got rid of minor scratches and some high spots in the wood. I did this to both sides and then sanded it with 320 grit sandpaper and took a good look at it and decided, yes, it's time to begin oiling. So I got out my bottle of flax seed oil and began oiling the board. I think oiled finishes are best when many very thin coats are applied instead of several thick coats. So here we go:




And here is the board from several different angles. I probably used 2 tablespoons worth of oil on all the sides and edges and then rubbed it in very well:




 I'm going to let the board sit for a couple of days before I put another coat of oil on it to make sure that the first coat of oil is absorbed into the wood and dries. I'll probably be done oiling it next week sometime.

As it's getting cold outside, I've brought the board inside and I'm letting it dry in here.

I'll be back next week with completion photos.

In the meantime, I'm going to build a quick table for my grandson's train set this weekend and I'll post about that.

Stay tuned,
VW



No comments:

Post a Comment