Friday, October 3, 2014

Dining Room Table re-do: A Face lift for an old friend-Pt.3: finishing off the table top

Hello Again Everyone,

Yesterday, after the mineral spirits dried, we brought the table top back inside of our house for the finishing steps. It's getting cold here and I was afraid the finish wouldn't dry. And it's a lot more comfortable working inside right now!

Here are today's photos and comments:

The top stayed inside overnight and this is what it looked like this morning:

Here is a closeup of one of the corners. I looked at the surface and noticed that the color was uneven-you can easily see the blotchiness and it appeared to me to look a little too beat up. So I decided to apply a pine stain over the top to even this out. To begin this process I applied a wood sealer to the surface and let it dry, which took about 50 minutes. After it dried I noticed the color had evened out and a lot of the blotching became invisible. So at the last minute I changed my mind and decided to apply the polyurethane to the surface:

This is the top after after I applied the polyurethane:

And this is the same corner in the photo above. I think it looks better and it didn't remove the "worn" appearance of the surface. I'm going to let this dry and this evening I'll apply a second coat of polyurethane and then the top will be finished:


Tomorrow, I'll do the bottom frame and then the table will be complete and ready to be used again.

Stay tuned,
VW

No comments:

Post a Comment