Tuesday, April 15, 2014

Wood delamination-ooohhh noooo....

Good Morning All,

Take a look at this photo:


If you look carefully you'll see that the Brazilian cherry layer in the center of this rolling pin is pulling away from the white oak layer, leaving a gap. This is called delamination and it has a variety of causes:

  • age of the glue you're using
  • environmental and wood temperatures
  • assembly time
  • not enough glue along the length of the joint
  • excessive glue squeeze out 
I made two laminated rolling pins last week and the other pin is in perfect condition but this one isn't. I laminated them both at the same time so environmental conditions, wood, and glue were all the same and I don't stint on glue when I'm laminating blocks so I'm not sure what happened here. Unfortunately this pin has to be discarded as there's no way to fix it.

I'm going to refer all of you to the following article from the US Department of Agriculture. It's about joint failure in laminated panels but a lot of the information applies here too. See: US Department of Agriculture: Delamination of Edge Glued Wood Panels

Sigh...live and learn.

VW

No comments:

Post a Comment